These major research projects focus on:
- Multifunctional bionanocomposites
- Biophotonic Materials
- Sensing and Biosensing Materials
- Ultra-strong Flexible Nanomaterials
- Ultra-stretchable Structures
Collectively, this fundamental research lays the foundation for ambient-friendly wet processing, lightweight strong protection, wearable bioelectronics, ultra thin functional skin, and flexible biosensors.
Examples found in nature, such as peacock feathers, fish scales, pollia fruit, and beetle exoskeletons provide inspiration for biophotonic nano composites in the SEMA lab.
Sensing and Biosensing Materials
Using the complex, multi-level hierarchical structures of biophotonic nano materials, we in the SEMA lab have created sensing materials for different reactions.
Ultra-strong Flexible Nanomaterials
In addition to creating biosensors with biophotonic structures, the SEMA lab uses strong materials found in nature, like cellulose nanocrystals (CNC) and cellulose nanofibers (CNF), to create both optically and mechanically advanced materials. Our characterization techniques heavily rely on atomic force microscopy (AFM), from which we can characterize the topography, mechanics, conductivity, and temperature performance.
SEMA research focuses on the fundamentals, especially upon improving interfacial interactions for typically weak interfaces to create stronger and more elastic materials or by manipulating the material’s structure to achieve unprecedented performance.
For more information about this branch of SEMA research, please read our published manuscripts. Below are some specific publications that encompass a majority of our research:
- R. Xiong, Mat. Sci. & Eng. Reports, 2018, 125, 1-41.
- R. Xiong, J. Luan, S. Kang, C. Ye, S. Singamaneni, V. V. Tsukruk, Chem. Soc. Review, 2020, 49, 983
- R. Xiong, ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 9074, Ang. Chem., 2020
- R. Xiong, et. al., Adv. Mater., 2020
- X. Zhang, R. Xiong, S. Kang, Y. Yang, V. V. Tsukruk, ACS Nano, 2020, in print
- K. Adstedt, E. A. Popenov, K. J. Pierce, R. Xiong, R. Geryak, V. Cherpak, D. Nepal, T. J. Bunning, V. Tsukruk, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2020, 202003597.
- R. Ma, ACS Nano, 2018, 12, 9714
- K. Hu, Adv. Mater., 2016; A. Grant, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2016
- R. Ma, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2017, 27, 1604802